Nami Island is very popular to those who love Koreanovelas since this is where Winter Sonata was shot. But for me, Nami is popular because of its beautiful tree lined roads. Whatever your reason is, Nami Island is truly a magical romantic place to visit.
How to get there:
Nami Island is 63 km away from Seoul in the direction of Chuncheon. There are several ways to get there:
- Shuttle Bus
- ITX Train
- Normal Train
Travel Time: 1hr and 45min
Shuttle Bus Cost: Roundtrip Bus Fare + Ferry + Admission = KRW 23,000
- Book your ticket before the trip to secure your seat. Call the enquiry line phone number at +82-2-753-1247.
- Take a tour bus from Insadong or Jamsil Station – Exit 4.
Note that there is only one shuttle bus for this trip. The bus will depart at 9:30am from Pagoda Park or Tapgol Park at Insadong and depart from Nami Island at 4:00pm. If you plan to consume your full day at Nami Island, you can opt to ride this shuttle bus; but if you only budgeted a couple of hour, you can take the train instead.
Travel Time: Approximately 1hr (refer below for details)
Train Cost: KRW 4,000-4,800 (depending on your subway line)
You can ride the ITX train heading towards Gapyeong Station from either of these subway lines:
- Yongsan → Gapyeong Station (about 60 min.) for KRW 4,800
- Cheongyangni → Gapyeong Station (about 42 min.) for KRW 4,000
Riding the ITX train is the fastest way to Nami Island. However, it is a bit expensive as compared with the normal train.
Normal Train (from Myeongdong Station):
Travel Time: 1hr and 30min
Train Cost: KRW 1,950
Taxi Cost: KRW 4,000 per taxi ride
- From Myeong-dong Station, take LINE 4 train heading to Chungmuro Station to get and alight at Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Station.
- Change to LINE 2 and take the train heading towards Sindang Station and alight at Wangsimni Station.
- Change to Jungang Lineand take the train heading to Cheong-nyangni and alight Mangu Station.
- Change to Kyeongchun Line and take the train heading towards Galmae Station and alight at Gapyeong Station.
- Exit at Gapyeong station.
Whether it be ITX or normal train, you will exit at Gapyeong Station. From here, you You have three options to go to Nami Island: (1) ride a taxi (2) wait for the tour bus or (3) walk.
Taking the taxi is a bit expensive but this will save your time than taking the tour bus. The tour bus is available every 20-30 minutes, hence you have to wait until it arrives. If you are lucky enough to catch the tour bus, then ride the bus. Further if you really are in super tight budget, you can choose to walk but it will take you 30minutes to reach at Nami Island.
Regardless of your choice, you still have to ride the ferry boat to arrive at Nami Island. Entrance + Roundtrip Ferry Boat amounts to KRW 8,000 for tourist. Refer to Admission Fees below for more details. Further, if you are courageous enough, you can try to ride a zip line to get to Nami Island but this will cost you KRW 38,000.
Nami Island is open from Monday to Sunday. The Ferry Schedule are as follows:
07:30-09:00 (30min intervals)
09:00-18:00 (10-20min intervals)
18:00-21:40 (30min intervals)
General Rates: Adults KRW 10,000
Discounted Rates: KRW 8,000 (applicable to middle.high school students, persons with disability, senior citizens, foreigners)
Special Rates: KRW 4,000 (applicable for children, infants and people who purchase last admission*)
*Last admission for December to March is 6:30pm and summer season at 7:30pm.
- Electronic Bicycle: 30 min for KRW 10,000/person; 1 hour for KRW 18,000/person
- Electronic Car Tour: 20 min for KRW 5,000/person
- UNICEF Train: one way for KRW 2,000/per person
- Zip wire: one way fare for KRW 38,000
- Sky Bike: Adult for KRW 3,000; Child for KRW 2,000
- Single-Serve bike :KRW 3,000 for 30 min; KRW 5,000 for 1 hr
- Couple-Serve bike: KRW 6,000 for 30min; KRW 10,000 for 1 hr
- Family Serve bike : KRW 10,000 for 30 min
Among all the activities, we only tried the couple and single-serve bike for 30 minutes. If only we had enough time, we could have tried other activities. Also, I suggest for you to rent the bike for an hour rather than just for 30 minutes.
We only spent approximately 3 hours in Nami. What we did there was to eat, take photos and ride a bicycle. Is it enough? Well I must say, No. Three hours in this magically romantic island is never enough. I suggest for you to spend at least 5 hours to feel the serenity and beauty of the place.
Here are some photos we took at Nami Island: